‘A Podcast Remembers’ Episode 3: The history of Valyria and the real reason behind ‘The Doom’
This podcast is hosted by Eric and Liz Prugh. The two are married and use drinking wine and talking about Game of Thrones as their date night. Because of the TV series’ insanely long hiatus, the pair look back at some of the most intricate storylines, characters, and myths in the world of Westeros. Tune in as this geeky couple breaks down the mythologies and theories surrounding George R. R. Martin’s Game of Thrones series.
Our last episode of ‘A Podcast Remembers’, a Game of Thrones podcast that breaks down theories, mythology, and stories in Game of Thrones, broke down The Grand Maester Conspiracy to wipe away all magic in Westeros. In episode 3, we dive into the insane history author George R. R. Martin has developed around Old Valyria. The history of the famous ‘city of dragons’ and the Freehold it reigned over has a lot more to do with present-day Valyrian Daenerys Targaryen than you may think.
Tune in for details on how the history of Valyria has influenced Dany’s journey to the Iron Throne, plus:
- What ancient history in the REAL world George R. R. Martin drew from for his world in Game of Thrones;
- The origin of ‘dragonlords’ (aka families like the Targaryens) and how they got their magical power;
- How Dany’s conquer of Yunkai, Mereen, Astapor shut down a five-millennia long hatred;
- The ancient legend of how ‘The Doom’ of Valyria really happened, and who it was that cursed the dragonlords;
- An overview of 5,000-years worth of juicy history pre-Valyrian Freehold/Doom;
- and more!
Listen here for how the history of Valyria plays into the HBO show’s storyline:
Sources for the Grand Maester Conspiracy:
Featured image: Game of Thrones