With Game of Thrones season 7 (and winter!) finally here, we’ve been breaking down all sorts of theories here at Pure Fandom: The prince that was promised, Tyrion being a Targaryen, possible ideas for HBO’s spinoff(s), and more. This week, right before the season 7 premiere, we’re bringing you our own Mormont theory and how we believe the family is way more involved in the War Against Winter than what’s been shown so far.
In this Pure Fandom Podcast, co-founder and host Liz Prugh sits down with her husband and frequent guest-host Eric to break down how exactly they believe the Mormont family has played a pivotal role in the story of ice and fire, particularly Jon Snow.
Tune in for details on:
- A refresher on R+L=J (Rhaegar + Lyanna = Jon) and how Jon is the son of Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen;
- The Knight of the Laughing Tree story and how it’s pivotal to R+L=J;
- Who the Mormonts are: Jeor Mormont AKA the former Lord Commander of The Night’s Watch, Ser Jorah Mormont, Lyanna Mormont, and Meage Mormont;
- Why we believe that Jeor had abdicated his seat as Lord of Bear Mountain in The North to take his place at The Wall to await Jon Snow’s arrival, knowing he was the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna;
- And more crazy details on how Jeor and Ned were working together all along.
Agree with our Mormont theory? Leave us your thoughts in the comments below!
Sources referenced in this podcast:
Want more Game of Thrones?
Check out our hit podcast ‘A Podcast Remembers’, hosted by Liz and Eric. The two dive into the history of the world of Westeros, researching the real reason behind the Doom of Valyria, the history of The Children and the First Men, who the Andals and the Rhoynar were, the Grand Maester conspiracy to wipe away all magic, and much more. They’re taking their knowledge and recapping the final season of Game of Thrones—listen along with us!
Featured image: HBO