Doctor Who recap 10×03, “Thin Ice,” Aired April 29, 2017
The third episode of Doctor Who’s tenth season starts with Bill saying, “I have questions.” She and the Doctor have found themselves in Regency era London during one the Thames’ Frost Fairs. While the episode starts out with a monster-of-the-week threat, we quickly learn that the real monster is actually a human – a racist, classist man who has zero qualms about sacrificing those who were dealt a lesser hand for the sake of his own greed. Pretty timely stuff, but that’s Who for you.
“Thin Ice” was a strong, self-contained episode with a good story, a great deal of wonder, and countless witty exchanges between Bill and the Doctor, some of which we’ve rounded up. Here are our favorite questions posed by Bill, along with the Doctor’s witty, worrisome, and insightful answers.
1. Can’t you steer the TARDIS?
Doctor: You don’t steer the TARDIS. You reason with it.
2. So how do we stay out of trouble?
3. When you go somewhere dangerous, what do you take?
Doctor: (points to the TARDIS) The wardrobe. Pick a dress.
4. So the TARDIS has dresses. And likes a bit of trouble?
5. Doesn’t anyone ever notice the TARDIS?
Doctor: Your species hardly notices anything.
6. Pete? (who’s Pete?)
Doctor: Your friend, Pete. He was standing right there a moment ago, but he stepped on a butterfly –– now you don’t even remember him.
7. Are there side effects to time travel, like physical symptoms?
Doctor: Oh, yeah. Sometimes you see lights under the ice.
8. How is that a screwdriver?
9. You’ve seen people die before, yeah? How many? If you care so much, tell me how many people you’ve seen die.
Doctor: I don’t know.
10. Have you ever killed anyone? How many?
Doctor: Do you want to help, or do you want to stand here stamping your foot? Because I’m 2000 years old, and I’ve never had the time for the luxury of outrage.
11. Have you been holding out on me? Do you have like magical alien powers?
Doctor: (gives Bill a look)
Bill: What? Was that an impolite question?
+1 quote – the Doctor’s speech
Doctor: Human progress isn’t measured by industry. It’s measured by the value you place on a life. An unimportant life. A life without privilege. That boy who died on the river, that boy’s value is your value. That’s what defines an age. That’s what defines a species.
- Who’s in the vault??? The Master? Missy? One of the Doctor’s other enemies?
What were your thoughts on “Thin Ice?” Let us know at @PureFandom on Twitter!