Like when it rains too much it’ll flood, or how vanilla ice cream is better with chocolate syrup, it’s just a fact that Jack Pearson of This Is Us is an amazing father. Even when he’s sucking, he manages to pull it together, and that is enviable. Here are some of his best parenting moments:
5. When he quit drinking to be a better dad. The episode where Jack flirts with alcoholism is not his finest moment. It’s frustrating to watch on-screen, especially sandwiched between episodes featuring his utter amazingness in parenting and husbanding. But it’s a good reminder that everyone falls short sometimes. And it makes me like him more when he rises above.
4. When he donned the Pilgrim Rick hat. The Thanksgiving episode is a lot of fun, but the best part is the traditions that get carried on from what could have been a holiday disaster. Thanksgiving cheese dogs? Yep, that’s right, skewered hot dogs wrapped in Kraft Singles and rolled in Saltines. Hungry yet?
3. When he said, “Only good things are going to happen today.” He was wrong — a horrible thing happened that day. But he turned it into a beautiful thing. He held it down in a horrible situation and fought for his family. Also one of his best parenting moments before he even really started parenting was when he had the talk with Doctor K in the waiting room. Doctor K said it all when he told Jack his kids were excited to meet their father because, “I think maybe they got a good one.” They so did.
2. When he does pushups with Randall on his back. He has so many great moments with Randall, but this one takes the cake for me. “Your back was built to carry your son through life.” Jack supports the weight of his son while swearing to always protect him and care for him. I’m a mess just thinking about it.
1. When he invented the Big Three Chant. This is actually probably one of my favorite things about the entire show. I love when the kids do it as adults. The best gift he could have given his children is a reminder that they are loved and they are always there to support each other. I’m super envious that my sister and I don’t have a similar chant. I’m going to start workshopping one.
Honorable mention, because it’s not a parenting moment but deserves recognition nonetheless: When he wore that enviable denim on denim outfit.
What has been your favorite Jack Pearson parenting moment so far?
This Is Us airs on NBC Tuesdays at 9/8c.
(Images courtesy NBC)