What’s a Spuffy, you ask? Spuffy is the couple nickname of the badass Miss Buffy Summers (Sarah Michelle Gellar) and big bad vampire, Spike (James Marsters), from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Here are 20 great moments between the sometimes couple:
1.The end of season two saw Buffy framed for Kendra’s murder and a soulless Angel trying to end the world. In this episode we see Spike and Buffy team up for the first time and while there are no romantic aspects involved, it is clear to see that even when they were enemies, these two make a great team. Buffy is about to get arrested for a crime she didn’t commit when Spike comes to “save” her and strike up an alliance. And so it begins …
2. Now I know that this was a result of a Willow spell-gone-wrong, but it was still wonderful to see them together!
They get pretend engaged and starting making out … and keep on making out.
3. Okay, okay, this is only Spike’s dream, but it’s the start of his Buffy obsession/love (or at least when he realizes he has a thing for her).
4. In the episode “Fool for Love”, Buffy seeks out Spike for his Slayer knowledge after she is injured by a vamp while on patrol. This is one of the best episodes of the series as Spike recounts his time with the other members of the bad-ass Fanged Four (Angel, Dru, Darla, and Spike) and how he killed two Slayers.
Spike and Buffy get into over the course of this “lesson” and a pissed off Spike decides he is going to kill Buffy. Mr. Big Bad Spike and his shotgun go to Buffy’s house with murder on the mind but falls into Spuffy adorableness when he sees her crying on the porch. It’s subtle, but one of the sweetest Spuffy moments.
5. Glory/Ben/Glory/Ben just kicked Spike’s ass to get Spike to spill the deets on the “key” (Dawn). Spike refuses to give up any info in order to protect Dawn and Buffy. He tells the Buffybot that he couldn’t handle Buffy being in pain if something happened to Dawn. But it isn’t the über creepy Buffybot! It’s Buffy and she is super touched by his gesture and this happens:
And Spike is like WHOA, you aren’t my creepy robot girlfriend! Nope, it’s the real deal and he can’t believe it. This is the first non-spell, non-dream kiss between them.
6. There are some great moments in the season five finale between these two crazy kids, like when Buffy tells Spike that she is counting on him to protect Dawn and this:
but nothing as heartbreaking as Spike’s face when he sees Buffy’s body because even without a soul, Spike was crushed to lose her.
7. This is when Buffy comes back to life and Spike realizes it’s really her and not the Buffybot. He counted the days. GUYS! He counted the days that she was dead. Gahhhhh!
8. And then after she is back, our leading lady is having trouble adjusting to life on earth. She confides in Spike that she was in heaven. It’s the first secret the two have and it is the start of their sort of relationship. She can’t lean on her friends so she turns to Spike for comfort after her resurrection.
9. Still not ready to hang out with her friends because
they are living in her house rent free and they expect her to foot the bill they pulled her from heaven and she can’t deal. She tries her hand at various jobs but opts to hang in Spike’s world for the night.
10. This one comes from my favorite episode EVER. “Once More With Feeling” is the musical episode that all other musical TV episodes wish they could be. It is also the ep where Spike stops Buffy from dancing to her death and the end gives us this epic kiss.
11. Oh, ya know … just f*cking a house down …
12. This was at the ill-fated Xander/Anya wedding. The hot and heavy pair have called it quits so Buffy could get her life back together. It is a nice quiet moment after months of hot sweaty dysfunction.
13. After attacking Buffy, Spike leaves Sunnydale to “see a man about a girl” and get his soul back. He does and has a hard time with the feelings of guilt that came with it. Buffy is shocked when she finds out that he did it for her.
14. Spike was captured and everyone was cool with giving up on him. But not Buffy. At this point, Spike has gone a little crazy. He is seeing the First all the time and isn’t always sure what’s real and what is his mind playing tricks. But when Buffy comes to save him, he knows it’s her.
15. So now that Spike is rocking a soul, he and Buffy are even more aligned in the show’s final season. She respects him now and even defends him to Giles (who I am still angry with).
16. Buffy is broken, Her group of baby brat slayers-in-waiting, her friends, and her sister just voted her out of her house just as the world is coming to an end. GREAT JOB, GUYS! Buffy takes refuge in an abandoned house feeling defeated before the fight even begins and Spike finds her. It is the greatest pep talk in the history of time because he is Spike.
17. And then they cuddle. They spoon. They look into each other’s eyes for a while. It seems mild, but for these two, it is more intimate than any of their season six romps.
18. OMG, this. This was so flipping adorable.
19. These two are just ridiculous. They are finally acting like a real couple.
20. And then, there is this. The series finale. Look at his face. LOOK AT HIS FACE! But our bleached prince doesn’t make it out of this one. He was the hero, the champion and she really did love him, finally. And she was never able to tell him before because she needed to love herself first. (SOBS)
We love you, Spuffy! These two continue on in the Buffy comic series, so if you aren’t ready to let them go, they are available on Amazon.
Don’t worry, Angel. We love you too, but for other reasons.